The dude at chinesesurname said I could use this info. Hurray.
Origins of Kwan Surname 1
The surname Kwan (Guan) 關 originated from two sources.
- Sing Jyun Wan Pou (Xing yuan yun pu) 姓源韻譜 says: Kwan (Guan) 關 originated from the ancestral line of Kwan-Lung Fung (Guan-Long Feng) 關龍逢 who was a Grand Minister [taai san (tai chen) 太臣] in the Ha (Xia) 夏 Dynasty [2100-1600 BC]. The family originally settled in Onjap (Anyi) 安邑, located in the present Ha jyun (Xia xian) 夏縣, Saansai (Shanxi) 山西 province and later prospered in Gamsuk (Gansu) 甘肅 province.
- Fung zuk tung (Feng su tong) 風俗通 traces the surname Kwan (Guan) 關 to the title of the official post, kwan ling (guan ling) 關令 [Director of the Pass] in the Ceoi (Sui) 隋 [581-618 AD] and Tong (Tang) 唐 [618-907] dynasties. Kwan ling (guan ling) 關令 was the official guard at a strategic point on the border for protection against intruders. Kwan (Guan) 關 was later adopted as the common surname by the descendants of the family who held the post. This branch of the Kwan (Guan) 關 family settled primarily in Saandung (Shandong) 山東 and Gongsou (Jiangsu) 江蘇 provinces.
Sheau-yeuh J. Chao, gave me permission to post this information from her book In Search of Your Asian Roots: Genealogical Research on Chinese Surnames. She used Wade-Giles in her book; I changed it to jyutping and pinyin.
Origins of Kwan Surname 2
- Zyun Guk's (Zhuan Xu's) 顓頊 (2,513 - 2,435 B.C.) descendant Dong Fu was the dragon trainer of Emperor Jiu (Yao) 堯 (2,357 - 2,255 B.C), and was awarded the title of guan long shi (guan means to train, long is dragon). Although the word guan as in "train" is different from guan as in "shut", the two words have the same pronunciation, and the latter was used in place of the former.
- During the Xia Dynasty, Haa Git (Xia Jie) 夏桀 (1,818 B.C.-1,783 B.C.) was a notorious king who built lakes of wine and mountains of fermented yeast. He indulged himself in drinking and immorality and did not pay any attention to his administration. A loyal official called Kwan-Lung Fung (Guan-Long Feng) 關龍逢 urged King Haa Git (Xia Jie) 夏桀 to repent. Kwan-Lung Fung (Guan-Long Feng) 關龍逢 was imprisoned and executed. His descendants changed their last name from Kwan-Lung (Guan-Long) 關龍 to Kwan (Guan) 關.
- 周春秋 During the Ceon Cau (Chun Qiu) 春秋 period of Zau (Zhou) 周 Dynasty, an official named Wan Hei (Yin Xi) 尹喜 was the governor of Haamguk Kwan (Hangu Guan) 函谷關. Allegedly, the famous philosopher Louzi (Laozi) 老子, wrote the Dou Dak Ging (Dao De Jing) 道德經 for Wan Hei (Yin Xi) 尹喜 on his journey to the west. Wan Hei (Yin Xi) 尹喜 later followed Louzi (Laozi) 老子 and many believed that the two became ferries. The descendants of Wan Hei (Yin Xi) 尹喜 used Kwan (Guan) 關 —part of his official title—as their last name.
- Some of the Manchurians of the Qing Dynasty, changed their last name from Gua-Er-Jia to Guan. (Guan means shut or close).
People at yutopian.com said I could use their info. Yipee.